No, we have not gone completely crazy. Just like not too long we did a banana-less banana pudding, and it turned out great, we decided to experiment with more desserts like that one. We found this apple pie that feels just like the real thing while still being low-carb. Let’s dig in!
Let’s make apple pie!
Appleless Apple Pie
For the crust:
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ tsp sea salt or kosher
- ½ cup butter or ghee
- ⅓ cup sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 6-7 cups zucchini, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup powdered erythritol
- ½ cup butter
- Apple pie spice
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp xanthan gum or unflavored gelatin powder (optional)
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line with parchment paper, or grease well, a pie pan.
- Mix almond flour, sweetener and salt in a large mixing bowl. Now, add melted butter and the egg to the mix; the dough will be dry, but keep “kneading” until it’s uniform. Divide the dough in half.
- Press half of the dough into the pie pan; this will be the bottom crust. Bake until cooked through, don’t let it turn brown. Let cool before adding the filling.
- Melt butter in a pot or saucepan. Add zucchini, sweetener, apple pie spice and half the lemon juice. Simmer until thickened; if you want it to be more thick, mix the rest of the lemon juice with the xanthan gum or gelatin powder and whisk in the mixture. Cook until the zucchini is soft. Let cool.
- Transfer the cooled filling to the bottom crust.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll out the remaining dough larger than the pie pan. Place the top crust onto the pan pie, cutting any excess and pinching the borders to seal the pie. Cut a star in the middle of the dough and bake for 25 minutes, until golden.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
There you go! A super yummy dessert, with none of the guilt that comes with eating carbs. Keep it keto!