If you love nothing more than a creamy soup, this is the ultimate recipe for you. Using little more than delicious, sweet squash, we’re gonna craft a perfect soup that will not only comfort you during the cold months of winter but that will stay just as delicious if you want to have it chilled.
Though soup is not particularly the most popular dish in the world, this recipe has gained a special place in our hearts because of how distinct a flavor it has. Although being honest, it’s probably because it is a very simple recipe that pretty much anyone can make: It can be made by pretty much by anyone, no matter how clumsy in the kitchen they happen to be.
Here we give you our most beloved soup recipe:
Creamy Squash Soup
- Squash, about 1kg
- 1 large onion
- Full fat coconut milk
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium sweet potato (100-200 grams)
As you can see from the ingredients, this is quite a simple recipe. But don’t get cocky! Follow our instructions carefully.
How to make:
- Peel squash and boil until very, very soft. Alternatively, you can boil the squash and then peel it if you find peeling it too difficult.*
- In a different pan, boil onion, garlic and (peeled) sweet potato together.
- When the squash is soft enough that you can easily mash it with a fork, transfer the rest of the vegetables (broth included!) to a pan and pour squash together. Let simmer for half an hour minutes.
- At this point, mash again. All the ingredients should come together to form a purée. Add a pinch of salt.
- Pour coconut milk (250ml). Stir well to mix with all the ingredients. Texture should now be more creamy. Sprinkle parmesan cheese to taste and keep stirring. Keep the heat on low until you reach the desired creaminess.
- Serve and add chunks of mozzarella on top for enhanced texture and flavor.
*You can also chop the squash into four pieces and bake in the oven until soft. Just drizzle with oil, add some chopped garlic on top, and bake for about 30-40 minutes.
What do you think? Super easy, right? And just wait until you try it. You’ll be so satisfied with this recipe you’ll end up making it more than once a week.
Lastly, we recommend experimenting with the recipe. Change around what kind of milk you use. We also highly recommend sautéeing the onion first with butter: It gives your soup a great flavor boost.