If there is anything close to being holy when it comes to protein, it’s eggs. They are super convenient for a protein source, they come already packaged so you don’t have to be as careful as you would with raw meat. Eggs are THE complete protein. And today, we come at you with the most powerful triumvirate of all keto diets: Eggs, bacon, and cheese. These are going to serve as the main ingredients for our egg casserole.
This recipe has been developed to accommodate for many people at once. Casseroles like this one are best prepared on special occasions, although you’ll find yourself making up excuses just to make this casserole. It’s super tasty, and takes very little time to make. All things -and people- considered, this recipe serves about five people at the same time, but feel free to double the ingredients if you need to make more in one sitting.
Let’s break some eggs!
- 10 large eggs
- 10 bacon slices
- 10 ounces shredded mozarella
- 2 ounces sour cream
- 2 ounces heavy whipping cream
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Olive oil
How to make:
- Cook bacon until crispy. Remove from the stove; Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven.
- In a big bowl, add eggs, sour cream, whipping creams, salt and pepper and mix gently for about 2 minutes with a fork.
- Coat a large pan with olive oil and pour shredded cheese. Press down gently with a spoon.
- Pour egg mixture into pan -on top of the eggs- and make sure it’s even.
- Take the bacon from step one and crumble into small pieces on top of the mixture; make sure you cover as much area as possible.
- Bake at medium heat. Take a peek every ten minutes - remove once the edges start turning golden brown or dark brown if you prefer. Just avoid dark brown or black.
Note: You can add pretty much any vegetable you like to this recipe, like bell pepper, cauliflower, broccoli and tomato. Experiment and see what tastes best to you!
And with that, it is done. Take out of the oven and let cool anywhere from half an hour to an hour before cutting into it. After it’s cooled down and right before serving, drizzle with your favorite sauce or dressing; We recommend olive oil or ketchup.
And if you’re preparing for a big dinner party or something similar and you’re looking for something interesting to add to the menu, we suggest you check out this exotic, juicy greek chicken or the even more exotic shakshuka. Main dishes aside, you could play it safe and make some mini-pizzas or some cornbread– both are bound to please pretty much everybody.