The holidays are upon us and in full swing. With that comes induldging in drinking and partying it up with friends, family, coworkers or anyone else that is town visiting. Being on the ketogenic diet is based on limiting sugar and carbs with your food. The same can be said about your alcohol consumption. This means no more sugary cocktails or heavy stout beers!
Luckily, there are options for those liking to partake in the drinking of spirits; light beers and plenty of wine and sparkling wine. However, the safest drinks while on the keto diet are going to be the hard (non flavored) liquors. Here's a small list courtesey of popsugar:
- Vodka: 0 carbs
- Gin: 0 carbs
- Tequila: 0 carbs
- Whiskey: 0 carbs
- Scotch: 0 carbs
- Brandy: 0 carbs
- Cognac: 0 carbs
- Rum: 0 carbs
- Dry red wines, like Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, and Merlot: 3-5 grams per 5-ounce glass
- Dry white wines, like Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay: 3-5 grams per 5-ounce glass
- Dry sparkling wine: 1.5 grams per 5-ounce glass
- Light beers, like Budweiser Select 55, Michelob Ultra, and Miller 64: 2-7 grams per 12-ounce bottle
Now this doesn't mean you have to stick to shots only. You can mix with seltzer water, add a squeeze of lemon/lime or just enjoy on the rocks for a watered down effect.
Another option is doing one of my favorite drinks this time of year that guys and girls both enjoy and find refreshing and won't kill your keto diet. The Moscow Mule is perfect for the holidays and here is a recipe courtesey of Becky Craigo over at omgketoyum.com
KETO CRANBERRY MOSCOW MULE
SERVINGS: MOSCOW MULE
CALORIES: 141 KCAL
A Low Carb Keto Cocktail with a holiday twist.
- 2 shots Tito’s Vodka
- 1 can Goslings Sugar Free Ginger Beer
- 40 ml Diet Cranberry Juice
- 40 ml Lime Juice
- 20 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 handful Ice
- 1 Medium Lime
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 5 Fresh Cranberries
- 1 Copper Moscow Mule Mug
- 1 Festive Straw
- Prepare your garnishes: Lime Slices, a sprig of fresh rosemary and a handful of cranberries.
- Put the Ice, and Garnishes inside of your mug and pour the Sugar Free Ginger Beer over them.
- Add the Vodka, (I enjoy Tito’s), Lime juice, Cranberry Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar into your mug. Add more Cranberry juice if desired and remember that it is about .5 carbs per half shot of sugar free Cranberry juice. Add the straw and enjoy responsibly.