Cabbage rolls are a real treat. Whenever you have some time to cook and -more importantly- a bunch of ingredients here and there leftover from other recipes, cabbage rolls are a great way of bringing everything together into a fail-proof dish.
For me, discovering cabbage rolls was like stumbling upon the holy grail by chance. This is because I’ve always, always loved putting a bunch of ingredients together and rolling them up with a tortilla - whether it was a wheat tortilla, a corn tortilla, or one of those rice papers that are super sticky and don’t even need cooking. Enter the cabbage: A keto-friendly way for me to get my fix while at the same time dumping carbs (empty carbs) and replacing them with super nutritious cabbage.
Let me share with you this super easy to make cabbage roll recipe:
- 1 cabbage
- 1 small cauliflower head, no stem
- Minced meat (300 grams)
- Minced pork (200 grams)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 can tomato purée
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- Brown sugar
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ tablespoon liquid smoke
How to make:
- Boil the cabbage until leaves are tender. Remove up to 8 outer leaves and set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, sautée onion w/ butter until transparent and soft. Add diced tomatoes, garlic, and brown sugar to taste (to cancel out tomatoes’ acidity/bitterness). Let simmer for 10 minutes. Leave uncovered.
- Take the cauliflower head and grind in a blade grinder to make cauliflower rice.
- Mix raw cauliflower rice with your selected meats. Add seasoning: Liquid smoke, ketchup, worcestershire, black pepper, and just a dash of nutmeg. Salt to taste.
- Now transfer this mixture, about one handful onto each cabbage leaf. Roll carefully and transfer into the saucepan where the vegetables are (still uncovered) -- place carefully so they don’t come undone.
- After you’ve placed all on the saucepan, pour the tomato purée taking care to pour just a little on top of each roll.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for one hour. If still not done, cook for an additional ten minutes on high heat. Very important to never take the lid off during this stage so they cook thoroughly.
All that’s left now is for you to eat them. Have at them!