EggNog and Christmas go hand in hand. Some people love it (me, especially rum or vodka added in) and some don't care for it. Over the years, I've tried some carton ones, some glass bottle ones with liquor added. One thing they all have is ALOT of sugar. If you are like me and on Keto, sugar is "white death"...a no way jose ingredient.
With this Keto friendly recipe, you can enjoy Christmas and Eggnog, together, just like they should be.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (ground or paste)
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup zero-calorie sweetener
- 1 tablespoon zero-calorie sweetener
- cinnamon stick (optional garnish)
Homemade Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sweetener
- Add the almond milk, heavy cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to a saucepan on medium heat.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites in 2 different bowls.
- Beat/whisk the 4 egg yolks with the sweetener for one minute. This is important because you don't want the eggnog to clump.
- Add the egg yolks to the saucepan. Stir and whisk repeatedly to avoid lumps in the eggnog. Heat to 170 degrees.
- Beat the egg whites with a hand mixer or standing mixer for 10 seconds. Add 1 tablespoon of sweetener to create a meringue and mix until the meringue forms. Add it to the warm mixture. Remove the eggnog from the heat and add it to a pitcher.
- Chill in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
Homemade Whipped Cream (Optional)
- Add the whipping cream to a mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer and mix for 2 minutes. Add in the sweetener. Mix until whipped cream forms.
If you want to add alcohol, some keto friendly ones are tequila, rum, whiskey and vodka to start.
Recipe courtesey of Brandi at staysnatched.com