We're diving deep into British cuisine today to explore new and exciting flavors. We don't do as many fish recipes as we might want to, but this one is so delicious that it totally makes up for it.
Fish, of course, is a very valuable source of healthy fats. Omega 3 is one of the main selling points of fish meat, but so is the fat that fish meat rarely has any significant amount of trans fats and therefore it is, next to chicken, one of the best meats for those watching their calorie intake.
Let's make some Fish Pie!
Keto Fish Pie
- 300 grams white fish meat
- 200 grams pink fish meat, such as tuna or salmon
- 1 head cauliflower
- 100 grams butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cloves
- 1 onion
- Fresh parsley
- 200 grams cooked spinach
- 1/2 cup cashew or hemp milk, unsweetened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make:
- Steam cauliflower until soft, then dry using a colander and paper towels. Once dry enough, blend.
- Add 50g butter, salt, pepper, and blend again until it is smooth. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt remaining butter and use it to sautée the onion until it becomes translucid.
- Add cream, milk and cloves. let simmer for a while, then add the fish. Close the lid and slow cook for about 10-20 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so.
- Take the fish out and place it on a glass dish.
- Keep simmering the sauce and add cheddar cheese and mustard. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce on top of the fish, then top with the mashed cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese on top and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese on top starts browning.
- Let cool before serving. Add fresh parsley as garnish.
But seriously, let it cool before diving in! I know the smell is hypnotizing (and I did burn my tongue) but it's better for the consistency if you let it cool a bit before eating.