Pho is a type of soup that has recently become super popular. The reason? It is incredibly delicious, it can go with almost any type of topping and, thanks to the extended cooking time, it produces a rich broth like no other.
Lately, pho has been rivaling the popularity of even ramen which is, by all measures, the most popular asian dish that comes close to soup of any kind. Pho, however, is quite different since it usually starts with a rich beef broth that cannot even be compared to the plain soy sauce broth of most ramen.
But rivalries aside, let’s make some pho!
Keto Beef Pho
Ingredients for the broth:
- 1 Onion
- 10 grams ginger root (about the size of your thumb)
- 4 star anise
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (important choose vietnamese, korean, or japanese varieties)
- Salt and brown sugar
- 1 or 2 KG of brisket
- Shirataki noodles
- Thin beef slices
- Thai basil
- Small lime wedges (optional)
- Hot sauce
How to make:
- In a big pot, boil the brisket in the highest heat setting for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the water and get rid of the fat and scum that floats to the top. Ideally, get rid of the water.
- In a saucepan, roast the rest of the broth ingredients until you start seeing golden to dark brown, particularly on the onion. You can use some neutral oil for this step.
- Transfer to a big pot along with the brisket and let simmer for 3 hours.
- After three hours, remove the brisket. Separate meat from bone.
- Add the bone back to the broth and keep simmering. This step can be done in only 30 minutes, but the more you let it simmer, the better.
- Strain until the broth is clear.
Now you can serve and add toppings individually on each bowl. The idea is to serve as hot as possible, since some of the toppings are supposed to cook after serving, like the noodles and the beef slices.