Meat lovers, this one’s for you! With a keto reinvention of the century-old classic shepherd’s pie, we bring you all the goodness of ground beef with a mashed potato substitute that you will definitely love. Ideal recipe for lazy days!
You’ll need a glass dish -not too deep- to get this done, but other than that, not much else. When I’m feeling lazy in terms of not wanting to do any dishes at all, I whip up this recipe and eat straight from the glass dish. It feels great, trust me.
Let’s make some shepherd’s pie!
Keto Shepherd’s Pie
- Ground beef (1-2 lbs.)
- ½ cup beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 small to medium head cauliflower
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 3 garlic cloves
- Tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to tate
- Olive oil
How to make:
- Preheat the oven.
- Cut off all stems until you’re left with just the florets of the cauliflower. Steam for 10 minutes until they are soft. Dry as much as possible; use a paper towel if you need to.
- In a pot, combine heavy cream, cream cheese, cheddar, and cauliflower. Turn the heat on medium.
- Using a potato masher, mash the cauliflower up.
- Add green onions.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop onion and carrot and sautée in a skillet or saucepan. Stir constantly. Add garlic and keep stirring until onion has softened.
- In a separate saucepan, cook ground beef. Once brown, add broth and simmer for five minutes.
- Transfer vegetables and beef to a glass dish and combine well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with cauliflower and cheese and even out the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes or until the surface starts looking light brown.
This dish is great for one or two people, and you rarely need to make anything else as this already leaves you feeling full after one medium serving.