Strawberry shortcake. It's one of the most classic, standard cakes. But there's an obvious reason: It's delicious. It caters to any and every type of palate. There is no one in the world that wouldn't salivate at the sight of strawberry shortcake.
But, most of all, strawberry shortcake is the type of cake that can be had at any occasion. If you’re unsure what kind of cake you want for dessert, just go for strawberry shortcake: You’ll never, ever be disappointed.
Let’s make some cake!
Keto Strawberry Shortcake(s)
Our little secret is to make small pieces of fluffy bread (cake) instead of one big cake. This way, we get the softest kind of cake possible while also turning a whole cake into convenient bite-sized pieces!
Let’s start with the cake:
- 3 eggs
- 3 oz. cream cheese (unsalted)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Sweetener to taste (powder-form, stevia or erythritol)
How to make:
- Preheat the oven. Medium low to low temperatures work best.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- Beat egg whites until they turn very fluffy.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients with the egg yolks and beat until it’s smooth and evenly mixed.
- Pour this mixture into the egg whites, adding about ¼ of the mix at a time. Mix using a folding motion with the help of a spatula.
- Use parchment paper on top of a baking tray and spread cake mixture over it on different spots; You can use measuring cups to make sure each bread is about the same. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
While our cake rises and turns fluffy, we’re going to get our hands dirty making the filling.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 cups sliced strawberries
How to make:
- Whip heavy cream until it reaches desired consistency.
- Slice some strawberries and press down on them gently with kitchen napkins. This will drain a little of the water in the strawberries, avoiding messing with the heavy cream’s consistency and texture.
- Add strawberries to whipped cream, mix.
The only thing left is to take the cakes out of the oven, stuff as much filling as you can between two pieces of extra fluffy, delicious cake and then proceed to stuff your face with them. We strongly recommend considering adding a little something to further satisfy your sweet tooth-- something like a little keto nutella, or maybe making some pancakes for the inevitable leftover filling.
If you’re a fan of strawberry desserts, check out this strawberry cheesecake.