If you’re missing pasta, this is the perfect recipe for you. Zucchini noodles, or zoodles, are spiralized zucchini that is then cooked or eaten raw. Simple, right?
How to make:
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini in the spiralizer. Make sure it’s centered.
- Pressing the zucchini onto the blade, crank the handle repeatedly.
But even if you don’t have a spiralizer at home, you can still make zoodles following this recipe by simply cutting the zucchini into thin strips using a knife, although it is more time consuming and maybe it won’t be as thin as you’d like.
Now, you can either pan fry the zucchini noodles or cook them in the oven; both yield different results.
Pan fried noodles
Zucchinis are mostly water so, before you cook them, you’d want to get some of the moisture out. Nobody likes soggy noodles!
Place the zoodles in a colander and sprinkle with salt; it will bring out the water. After 30 minutes, squeeze some more water, but don’t overdo it. Stir fry them until they have the desired consistency. Because we squeezed so much water, they’ll have less volume, but there won’t be water on your plate.
Preheat the oven to 350º F. Place the zoodles in a baking sheet and toss with salt. You have to make sure they’re not on top of another; we want them to cook evenly. Bake for 15 minutes. This method will make zucchini noodles less watery.
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Salt, to taste
How to make:
- Toast the sunflower seeds on a pan over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the seeds to a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Process until well mixed, stopping a couple times the sides with a spatula. It will reach the perfect consistency after 1 minute or 2.
- Add the mixture to a sauce pan and stir in the milk. Remove the sauce from the pan.