Although typically associated with breakfast, bagels are one of those foods you can eat for any meal of the day (even for dessert). Eat them plain, with ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, smoked salmon… The toppings are almost infinite! You simply can’t go wrong with these delicious rings of joy.
As good as they can look (and taste), normal bagels like New York style bagels and say, Panera Bread Company bagels, have way too much calories that you do not want on a keto diet. These low carb keto bagels have only 4 grams net carbs per bagel! That’s why they are just the perfect choice for you.
We’re looking for that chewy bagel quality that we all love, and fathead dough will help us to achieve that. All we’ll need are 5 ingredients, but they will only work if you mix your dough very well. So, be patient and follow the instructions.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 ½ mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 3 eggs
- Sesame seed (optional)
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Let’s start by whisking the almond flour with the baking powder. It’s of extreme importance that you mix these two well because we want the bagels to rise evenly.
- Combine mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and melt for 2 minutes in the microwave until completely melted, stirring half through.
- Add the almond flour and 2 eggs to the cheese mixture; it will be hot, so use a spatula and mix until well incorporated. The dough can solidify and become unworkable, if this happens, just heat the mix in the microwave so it softens again. Try to work fast.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces to form balls.
- Press the dough slightly and push your finger in the center, stretching the dough to make a bagel shape.
- Place the bagels in the baking sheet. Use the remaining egg to wash the top of each bagels and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Bake until golden and firm, from 10 to 15 minutes.