Oh, to be Italian. It's already too late for us to be born in the country of tomato sauce and Mussolini, but we can still get to experience all of their delicious cuisine. Today, we're gonna learn how to make Pizza Pinwheels.
While not precisely a traditional Italian recipe, it is inspired on many of the flavors that make Italian cuisine so delicious. More importantly, it's quite easy to make.
Let's make some Pizza Pinwheels!
Keto Pizza Pinwheels
- 2 ½ mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp italian herbs
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh basil leaves
- Olives, black or green
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Pepperoni and salami, optional
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and melt for 2 minutes in the microwave until completely melted, stirring half through.
- Add the almond flour and 2 eggs to the cheese mixture; it will be hot, so use a spatula and mix until well incorporated. The dough can solidify and become unworkable, if this happens, just heat the mix in the microwave so it softens again. Try to work fast.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangular shape using your hands, or a rolling pin, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 3 minutes.
- While the dough is pre-cooking, in a small bowl mix the tomato paste, olive oil, italian herbs, chili flakes and salt.
- Remove the dough from the oven and spread with the tomato mixture. Add as many fillings you want then lift the edges closest to you and roll into a log.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into slices. Lay them flat on the baking sheet and bake until golden and thoroughly cooked.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or enjoy as it is.
Recommended for a lazy weekend.