It doesn’t have to be hard to accommodate your menu when you have friends over. And more importantly, it doesn’t have to taste bad: We want to share with you some recipes for Vegetarian and Vegan dishes that are keto-friendly and delicious.
First, a super fun dish that can function both as a meal, if there’s just two or three people, or as an appetizer to show off your cooking skills.
- Mozzarella cheese - or vegan cheese suitable for pizza
- Tomato paste (salt, sugar and pepper to taste)
- Olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green onion for garnish
How to make:
- Cut eggplant into medium thick circles.
The trick when making anything eggplant based is to try and get most of the water out, so:
- Spread out all your eggplant bites and sprinkle with salt on top. Wait 5 minutes and press down gently on each bite with a thick paper towel - watch it fill with water. Do the same for the other side.
- When eggplant bites are dry, cover them with olive oil on both sides and cook on one side.
- Once you flip each bite, take out into a plate and add the pizza part: A little tomato paste, cheese on top, and then one of two halved cherry tomatoes. Add a little green onion for garnish, then cook the other side.
And with that, you’re done! Although the results tend to be better when cooked individually, it’s much better to use an oven to cook them all at the same time; saves a lot of time and effort.
Time for the main dish:
Stuffed sweet potatoes
Orange sweet potatoes are just about the best low-carb replacement for anything starchy that actually fills you up like crazy, so they’re perfect for a main dish or when you just don’t have any good ideas for lunch.
- Orange sweet potatoes
- Garlic, onions
- Shredded cheese (Nutritional yeast for vegans)
How to make:
- The first thing you have to do is give your sweet potatoes a wash, cut them in half, and throw in the oven. Check every ten minutes - flip them over if you think they need to be flipped over. Once they’re soft, turn off the oven.
Now comes the filling:
- Throw spinach into a big pot, use a little bit of oil so it doesn’t get stuck. Cook until it’s soft and it’s decreased considerably in volume.
- In a saucepan, cook the onion until translucent and then transfer with the spinach. In that same saucepan, cook garlic (with olive oil) until light brown, then add the mushrooms and cook at medium heat until desired (some people like their mushrooms raw)
Put the filling all in one place and mix. Then take your sweet potatoes out of the oven and use as much filling as you like - sprinkle cheese on top while it’s hot so it melts and adds an extra layer of deliciousness.
And, lastly, a dessert:
Vegan chocolate brownie
If you’re ever had your doubts about whether a brownie could be vegan, wonder no more. This vegan recipe might be a little higher in carb than most keto foods - but it’s meant to be eaten in moderation.
- Sweet potatoes
- Chocolate chips
- Almonds, or peanuts, or walnuts
How to make:
- Boil two or three small sweet potatoes, or use what’s leftover from lunch.
- Once very soft, take them out and mash thoroughly.
- To the puréed sweet potatoes add cocoa, sweetener, and walnuts or peanuts. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour your mix into a baking mold. Add almonds (optional) and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes to one hour, then let cool for at least one hour.
Now you can make an entire meal that’s both keto and vegan friendly. How about that?